IS A 240Hz MONITOR WORTH IT? The answer is given below.
Is a 240Hz Monitor Worth it?
Answer: If you are a competitive gamer who can’t afford to risk even a millisecond then you should definitely opt for a 240Hz monitor. However, if you do not fall in the category of those hard-core competitive gamers then getting a 144 Hz display is good for you because you won’t see any big differences between 144Hz and 240Hz. But still, if you are not restricted by budget, we give you a green signal for the 240 Hz frames per second monitor.
Display quality and smoothness are some of the most noticeable features of gaming. Exceptional display quality can make a game impressive and vice versa. To understand more about display smoothness, we first need to know about refresh rates. What are they, what are their uses and what are their advantages and disadvantages?
What are refresh rates?
The refresh rate is the number of times your computer screen updates in one second or the number of times the frames on the screen are replaced within a second. Refreshing rates are measured in Hz which is the standard unit of frequency. Some other names are used instead of refresh rate; as frame rate, horizontal scan rate, vertical frequency, simply frequency, etc. If the refresh rate of your screen is 240Hz it means that the frames on your screen are refreshed 240 times in one second. Similarly, if the refresh rates are lower, the screen refreshes a lesser number of times in one second. The higher the refresh rate, the better the visuals and quality of the display are.
Most of the daily routine tasks do not require high refresh rates. They work perfectly fine with low frequencies. The average refresh rate of a computer is 60Hz which is also perfectly fine for general functions. Nowadays, with the advancement in the production of the gaming industry, the refresh rates have been increased to 144 Hz, 240 Hz, and some even up to 360 Hz. Monitors with high refresh rates may not be of much importance for office work that comprises mainly of emails, excel spreadsheets, etc. but they are a necessity for gaming professionals.
Click here, If you are interested in reading our latest buyer guide on Best Second Monitor for iMac.
In this article we will discuss is a 240 Hz monitor worth it or not.
Advantages of having high refresh rates such as 240 Hz:
- Having high refresh rates is very helpful while playing competitive games such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Fortnite, PUBG, Valiant, etc.
- Visual information that is not visible in a low hertz refresh rate can be seen when your monitor has a high refresh rate.
- Higher refresh rates help to track fast-paced actions, in aiming for targets as they appear to move more smoothly.
- Higher refresh rates make the game much more enjoyable for the player.
- It reduces the motion blur
- Reaction times while playing multiplayer in high refresh rate screen are higher than monitors with low refresh rates
- Another benefit of using a high refresh rate computer is that it reduces input lag. Input lag is the amount of time that passes between the user giving in command and the computer executing it. Using high refresh rate monitors minimizes input lag and less time is taken for commands to be executed. The difference it produces may be minimal and only milliseconds are saved but these tiny advantages are very useful for professional players and in competitive scenarios.
Disadvantages of having high refresh rates such as 240 Hz:
- As the frame rate gets higher, it makes it difficult for the human eye to differentiate between them. For example; one can easily differentiate between a 60 Hz and a 140Hz display but won’t be able to identify the difference between a 144 Hz and 240 Hz FPS. So upgrading to a screen with higher refresh rates than 144 Hz will be of no apparent use as long as you are looking to take benefit of every millisecond.
- Higher frame rates require powerful system requirements. If you have a monitor with higher refresh rates, you will require a graphics card powerful enough to push such high frame rates.
- These types of screens are really expensive and require better maintenance, which is difficult for many people to afford.
What is a 240 Hz display?
A monitor that has a 60 Hz display will load 60 frames per second. Similarly, a monitor with a 240 Hz display will refresh the screen 244 times in one second. A 240 Hz display is an advanced technological screen display, which provides multiple advantages, on top of the list is a smooth gaming experience without lagging and motion blurring. The advantages of having a high refresh rate such as 240 Hz have been mentioned in detail above.
Comparing 60 Hz, 144 Hz, and 240 Hz display:
If you have a powerful system and now is the turn to upgrade your monitor, this section of the article is very important to you.
What is the difference between a 60 Hz and 144 Hz display?
In the past, screens used to refresh at a rate of 30 Hz, and then after some time, it was upgraded to 60 Hz. Jumping from 60 Hz to a screen of 144 Hz is a remarkable upgrade. Most games work fine even with a refresh rate of 60 Hz, however, there is a huge difference in the visual experience of both. It is one massive jump. Of course, the changes are quite noticeable and they make your game highly enjoyable.
Since 60 Hz is less efficient than a 144 Hz monitor, there is a difference in the price. 60 Hz is comparatively cheaper than 144 Hz.
What is the difference between 144 Hz and 240 Hz display?
Here we will be discussing if the 240Hz monitor is worth it or not.
The apparent difference between the 144Hz and 240Hz monitor is very less. Usually not noticeable by humans until both the screens are compared side by side. But, if you are a competitive gamer who knows the refresh rates and their differences then a higher refresh rate monitor will definitely bring you more responsiveness and making the overall experience of your gameplay better.
Another thing you need to keep in mind is that while upgrading your monitor, you will need to upgrade your PC as well.
One important thing to keep in mind is that the 240 Hz monitor is more expensive than the 144Hz one and you need to keep a good budget if you want to upgrade your screen.
Can the naked human eye see 240 Hz?
Human eyes, however, are the best lenses of vision. We know that the human eye can see frequencies up to 1000Hz. Now we have a small problem here. It gets difficult to differentiate one frequency from the other as it goes high. This means that the human eye can differentiate 60 Hz from 144Hz but it cannot differentiate 200Hz from 350 Hz. Our eyes are not habitual of it.
A person who has to visualize different frequency ranges every day will find it comparatively less difficult to differentiate among the higher frequencies than someone who is not exposed to variations at all. If you are a hardcore FPS player, you will notice how the game visuals and quality increases with the increase in refresh rates.
What are the system requirements to support a 240 Hz monitor?
There is no such specific requirement when you want to support a 240 Hz monitor. It is because this thing varies from one game to another. It depends on the system requirements of the game you play.
You will need a minimum of a 1080ti GeForce card or an RTX 2080 in 2021 to support 240 frames per second. For a CPU going for i7 8700 or 8700k will do the job for you. It still varies with what game you wish to play more frequently.
Is the 240 Hz monitor overkill?
We believe that there is no overkill when it comes to gaming parts. Your passion can take you to the edge of a cliff. If you’re a passionate gamer, and you want the best of the best hardware for your gaming requirements, it is a heads up from us. From keyboards to graphic cards and processors and memory upgrades, why not include a 240 Hz monitor too. It will not make a huge difference, the difference might not even be so noticeable as compared to the 144 Hz screen, but even when you are not performing complex actions in the game, you will still feel that the game is running smoothly.
On the other hand, some people also believe that since 144 Hz display screen and 240 Hz display screen do not have much visible difference unless kept side by side to each other and notice details. Therefore, they suggest that instead of spending money on a monitor, stick to your 144 Hz monitor and spend money on getting an even better version of the graphics card.
For a fact that high-end gaming requires both high-end hardware and high-end software. When it comes to buying the best, most of the time we are disguised as the latest technology or the latest model is the best. Going from a 144 Hz display screen to a 240 Hz display screen isn’t an enormous jump, compared to switching to a 144 Hz from a 60 Hz screen.
You have all the features in a 144 Hz display which you get in a 240 Hz. It is not overkill however the same work is efficiently done by a monitor of 144 frames per second. But, if you want the best of the best for your gaming rig then go for a 240Hz.
This Article is Updated.
- Best 1080p 144hz monitor
- Best 240Hz monitor for gaming
- Best Monitor for fps games
- Best Monitor for reading documents
- JBL Speaker Sizes - December 19, 2022
- Tesla Spotify Not Working ( Easy Fixes ) - December 15, 2022
- Blink Indoor vs Outdoor cameras - December 9, 2022