Have you ever seen Red Wire On A Ceiling Fan? Do you know what its purpose is? How can you fix or install it? Dig out this article for all the answers.
A ceiling fan comprises different wires red, green, blue, black, etc. Each wire is attached for a particular purpose and their overall arrangements make the fan run appropriately. Do you know the purpose of the red wire on a ceiling fan? How does it contribute to the appropriate functioning of your fan? What to do once it stops working?
Well, the red wire controls and empowers the fan’s light. This article includes all about the ceiling fan’s red wire. You can crack this blog post to know the red wire’s importance and the way of installation!
Red Wire On A Ceiling Fan: Let’s Explain Its Purpose
If you install the ceiling fan, you will see various wires, including black, white, and copper wires. They are present for a reason. What does red wire on a ceiling fan mean? It means you have two distinct switches for operating the light fixture and fan. The red wire pulls the current to give it to the ceiling fan light so it will turn on. Contrary to this, black wire is connected to the ceiling fan’s motor.
They are normally secondary wires, which means conductors. It is very important to mark red wires to prevent any severe accidents.
Why Do You Need A Red Wire For The Ceiling Fan?
It would help if you had a red wire to control the fan’s light via a separate switch. You need a red wire between the light and fan for powering the light kit. If someone’s home does not have the red wire to control the ceiling fan, then you have to use a single switch for the light and the fan.
Another question is how to wire a fan with red wire? Alright, you have to connect the green-colored wire of the fan with the ground wire in the ceiling box. Afterward, securely join the white wires to the wire nut. In the next step, attach the black wire of the fan’s light to the ceiling fan’s red wire. Lastly, connect both black wires, meaning the black wire of the fan’s motor to the ceiling’s black wire. To make the connection safe, put all the wires in the ceiling box and close it.
Red Wire On a Ceiling Fan: Installation Process
Below mentioned steps are very important to install a red wire with the ceiling fan.
Let’s have a deep look into them!
- The first and foremost step is reading the instruction manual completely before installation. Careful reading will help you avoid mistakes and keep you safe from future injuries and mishaps. If you are not a professional electrician, then the instruction manual is a great help. But always keep in mind that not all ceiling fans are alike. Technology is changing rapidly; nowadays, each fan has its installation process.
- In the second step, attach a bracket with the ceiling fan. Don’t forget to turn off the power from the main circuit. If you don’t want to switch off the whole house, check the fan switch from the main box and turn it off. It is also good to turn off the lights of the room where the ceiling fan is going to be installed.
- Now identify the different wires, mainly yellow, black, and white wires. If you have seen the red wire, it is used to power the fan’s light. You will surely see the red wire for those ceiling fans with lights. The yellow wire is for the ground, and the white wire is categorized as neutral. On the other hand, black wire is not used to provide power to the ceiling fan. If the blue wire is also present, it also has an electric current and is typically known as the phase wire. So, if the chosen model has blue and black wires, you need two switches.
- In this step, you have to mount a bracket with the ceiling. Wires coming from the ceiling have to pass from the bracket CenterPoint. It is necessary to place the screws at the right holes to mount the bracket securely. Keeping the screws tight is also important for safety.
- In the final step, you will have to hang the ceiling fan on a bracket. The fan is a little heavier, so you need to take help from someone.
The red wire function is control of the light that is attached to the ceiling fans. For controlling the ceiling fan’s light, you require a switch, and for this switch, you also require a red wire that is used to power up the fan’s light.
Purpose of Different Colors Electrical Wires
You will see different colored wires in various appliances such as black, yellow, green, blue, and red. Let’s see the purpose of various wires.
- Red Electrical Wires
Red-coloured electrical wires are secondary wires present in 220-volt circuits and are most typically attached with the cables having multi-conductors. Red wires are for switch wiring and connecting the smoke detectors. It is possible to connect two red wires or connect the black with a red wire. As they conduct current, that is why they are mostly hot.
- Blue And Yellow Electrical Wires
Yellow and blue coloured wires carry power, but they are not used mostly in outlet wirings. They are used to conduct current among poles and switches, also called travelers. Yellow wires are used for ceiling fans and lights, while blue wires are used for switches having three to four ways.
- Black Electrical Wires
Black wires carry current from the power source with the outlet and are used in almost all circuit types. You must be very careful while working on these wires as they are hot. They are also used as switch legs that will pass the power to outlets and switches in all types of circuits. Black-coloured wires are not used for ground and are considered great for power feed for outlets and switches.
Red wires are important to run a ceiling fan smoothly. Any error or damage in this wire can disrupt the fan’s light that turns on when it is accurately attached with the fan. Installing a red wire is not very difficult, you can learn the method by plunging into the article. For any information about the ceiling fan’s red wire, you can read this article.