The biggest perk of having AirPods is the convenience that comes with it. You don’t’ need to reach for your mobile every time you want to change or skip to the next song. With AirPods 1&2, you can achieve these feats by double tapping your earbud.
Lately, we have been getting many queries that AirPods aren’t’ responding to double taps. I have experienced it myself; double taps stop skipping my songs. Suppose you are facing the same problem, there is no need to sore your ears by double tapping unnecessary. A few simple ways can make the double tap feature of your AirPods 1&2 work again. We have explained all of the tricks below.
Why is AirPods double tap not working?
Let’s discuss Why is AirPods double tap is not working.
Trick 1: Turn on double tap:
In most cases, the double tap is simply disabled from your settings. Before doing anything else, check that your double-tap option is turned on. Also, you will have to ensure that it performs the function you need.
Here is how you can do it.
- Open the Bluetooth menu from the settings.
- There will be a list of devices connected to your device. Click on the little I icon present right beside your Airpod’s’ name.
- After scrolling down, you will find a “Double tap on Airpod” menu. There will be two options, left or right. Choose one of the options here.
- After that, you will be taken to another screen with 5 options. Choose the function you want to perform after you double tap.
- Come back and test your double tap again.
In most cases, your AirPods will be working fine now. We have experienced this as the most simple yet effective solution for Apple users.
Trick 2: Reconnect your AirPods:
If the above trick doesn’t work, then don’t lose hope; there is another way. It can be due to some firmware problem in your device or AirPods. Since you can’t manually update the firmware of your AirPods, you can solve this problem by forgetting and reconnecting your AirPods.
All you have to do is follow the simple steps below;
- Navigate to the Bluetooth option of your settings
- There will be the name of your AirPods on there. Click on the small I icon next to it.
- Scroll down, and you will find the “Forget this device” option.
- You will have to confirm the box that pops up after you forget the device.
- Place your AirPods inside the case and keep them near your device.
- Close the lid for a few seconds and open it again.
- Press the setup button until the amber light starts flashing instead of the white light.
- Turn BlueTooth on again and connect your AirPods.
- Don’t forget to disable Automatic Ear Deduction.
After you have set the functions for double-tap, test your AirPods, and it will work fine.
Trick 3: Disable automatic ear deduction:
Automatic ear deduction is a fantastic feature by Apple. If this feature is enabled in your device, your device will start playing audio through the speaker when your AirPods are not in your ears. If the double tap is not working on your AirPods, you can try turning it off and try again.
Disabling automatic ear deduction is no hassle. The steps of turning off automated ear deduction are given below.
- Open the settings in your device
- Go to the BlueTooth tab
- Tap on the small icon right beside your device’s name
- You can turn off this feature by unchecking the second last option in the menu.
How does double tap my AirPods?
Sometimes, there doesn’t need to be something wrong with your AirPods. It can be a possibility that you aren’t tapping them right. Most people think that and keep tapping AirPods, but it still doesn’t work. Since this is a widespread problem, we decided to solve this problem once and for all. Below, we have explained how you can use AirPods the right way.
Where should I tap my AirPods?
When AirPods don’t’ work, most people start tapping all over the surface of AirPods. This doesn’t impact the performance, but they sour their ears. Most people usually tap on the stem, which is why AirPods don’t’ respond to their instructions.
If AirPods isn’t’ responding to your taps, try tapping right at the upper end of the stem. Also, make sure that your fingers aren’t too sweaty. That spot can be tricky to get, but you will be able to get it right after a few attempts.
If this doesn’t work for you, try tapping your earlobe instead. We know it sounds strange, but somehow it works for people.
How should I tap my AirPods?
It is natural to get frustrated after your AirPods don’t’ work the first few times. However, some people start tapping it stressfully which isn’t the right approach. AirPods don’t’ come cheap, and the last thing you want is to damage your pods permanently.
It would help if you were not too forceful; a couple of gentle taps are all you need. Also, don’t tap too fast.
If your device is locked or in sleep, tapping won’t’ work. So make sure that your phone is unlocked before you tap or do anything else. So, if your pods don’t’ respond to taps sometimes, locked phones can be one of the reasons.
Does double tapping work on Android?
This is a common confusion in Android users. There should be a guidebook explaining what features of different Apple products are compatible with Android OS. We all know that Apple has decided to remain separate from Android from day one. That’s why most of Apple’s features aren’t’ functional in Android. Facetime, drag and drop, and battery health are just a couple of examples.
All AirPods, including 1,2, and Pro, pair perfectly with Android devices. Also, features like force sensors in AirPods pro and taps in AirPods 1,2 work completely fine with Android. However, if you want to customize these settings, you must connect your AirPods with your Apple device.
Why use Taps on AirPods?
If you already have or are interested in getting your hands on AirPods 1 or 2, you will need to understand how to control audio with AirPods. In this guide, we will explain the different features of AirPods and how to activate them.
- If you want to activate Siri in AirPods 2, you must say, ” Hey, Siri. In the case of AirPod 1, you will have to double tap.
- You must tap twice if you want to play a song in AirPods 2.
- You can answer calls with a double-tap on both AirPods 1 and 2.
Know that these are the default settings of AirPods. You can easily customize them and make them perform a specific function when you tap. To be able to do this, all you need to do is:
- Open the settings and go to the BlueTooth.
- You will find the name of your AirPods there. Click the small I icon next to it.
- Scroll down, and you will find a DOUBLE-TAP ON ANDROID” option. Under there will be the two buttons of Left and Right.
- From there, you can select tapping on which earpiece will perform which function.
Fairly straightforward, right? You have the option to choose between 5 functions. These functions are as follows.
- Skip to the next track
- Switch to the previous track
- Play or pause the song(Pause the song if playing or play the music if broken.)
- Disable the Double-Tap feature.
Remember, you can choose separate functions for separate earbuds. Your left earbud can play the next song after a double tap, while your right earbud will activate Siri, so choose wisely!
Why isn’t the double-tap feature working on my MacBook?
It isn’t’ consistent, but sometimes issues occur when connecting your AirPods with your MacBook for the first time. In this case, you will also have to turn off the automatic ear deduction feature. The beauty about Apple products is that all of their features work the same. You can change the ear deduction feature on MacBook the same way on your iPhone.
- Go to the system preferences.
- Scroll down to the Bluetooth menu
- Click on the Airpod button
- You can turn the ear deduction feature off from here easily.
You can also customize the functions of your left earbuds and fitting earbuds with ease. You can find the customization menu from the same tab and make the changes however you like.
Overall, AirPods are one of the best gadgets to have around you. You will have to face a few glitches and drawbacks occasionally, but thankfully there are guys like us who can help you whenever you feel confused. If you follow the above tricks, there are 99% chances that your AirPods will return to normal. If the double-tap feature isn’t working, we suggest taking it to a professional and having them look at it.
- Why do AirPods hurt my ears
- Airpods pro screeching noise
- How to clean AirPods with hydrogen peroxide
- Airpods keep cutting out