Why is FreeSync cheaper than G-Sync? Let’s find out…
Before we compare both technologies i.e., FreeSync and G-Sync in terms of their price, you must know what these actually are and what are the features that make a difference between the price of these two.
Without any further ado, let’s start with the details:
This technology is developed by AMD with the sole purpose of providing the users with a smoother and tear-free working and gaming experience. To find out in detail about the FreeSync technology, keep reading.
G-Sync, on the other hand, has the same purpose of serving the users with a smoother, balanced, and flicker-free experience. The G-Sync technology is developed by NVIDIA and was released back in 2013. This technology has the capability to synchronize the monitor display with the output delivered by the system’s graphic card for a smoother experience.
The main reason why G-Synch has become highly demanding is that the refresh rates of the monitor are significantly better than the ability of GPU to deliver its output. Even if your GPU’s speed loses its sync with the refresh rates of the monitors, the G-Sync technology makes sure that the graphic card calibrates the sync so that the performance is not compromised.
NVIDIA has upgraded its G-Sync technology in order to keep up with the advancements in the technology by introducing a newer version known as G-Sync Ultimate.
For gamers, especially hardcore gamers budget is the real problem. Gaming enthusiasts always want a budget-friendly solution and Freesync seems a reasonable choice to them.
Why is FreeSync cheaper than G-Sync?
As suggested by the name, “free” in the FreeSync means that the technology is open for all the manufactures to integrate into their systems that too without having to pay a single royalty to AMD. This is one of the biggest reason why FreeSync costs lesser than the G-Sync technology.
What is FreeSync, and why it should be used or not used?
AMD created FreeSync technology a couple of years ago and launched it for the public in 2015. The technology basically adapts the synchronization, especially for LCDs that can possibly reduce the stuttering and tearing caused when the monitor fails to sync with the frame rate of the content.
Due to the fact that Adaptive Sync is used in this technology, it is constructed into the standard 1.2a DisplayPort hence, making it compatible with all the monitors having such input. However, the FreeSync technology is not compatible with DVI and VGA connections.
Before making the purchase, you must look at both pages so that you know what you will be getting at the price. So, let’s have a look at the pros and cons or the reasons why one should or should not get the FreeSync.
Pros/should be used
- Since it is a software-based technology, it can be used on a variety of monitors and can be used by several vendors.
- This technology brilliantly works in eliminating the visual issues including, jittering, lagging, stuttering, etc.
Cons/should not be used
- The tempting price surely has the potential to convince the buyers for FreeSync but what they don’t pay heed to is that the technology is incompatible with NVIDIA’s GPU. Hence, even if you save some pennies on the technology, you might have to spend some on NVIDIA’s G-Sync monitor.
- Some manufacturers might not be able to make use of this technology freely because the refresh rates are restricted to between 40 to 75Hz for some manufacturers whereas, some might allow up to 40 to 144Hz.
Is G-Sync and FreeSync worth it?
NVIDIA’s G-Sync technology and AMD’s FreeSync technology are packed with amazing features that ultimately improve your experience with the monitor, especially while playing games. However, FreeSync offers a bit lesser features than G-Sync and hence is lower in price as well whereas, the G-Sync has an incredible number of features that make it a considerable choice. But both the technologies are worth it; however, G-Sync is only worth it if you already have NVIDIA’s GPU.
- Best 1080p 144hz monitor
- Best 240Hz monitor for gaming
- Best Monitor for fps games
- Best Monitor for reading documents
Is G-Sync worth it 2020?
G-Sync might not be entirely worth the enormous cost it is priced at since you can also get a regular G-Sync and FreeSync compatible monitor display rather than making a hefty investment on the G-Sync monitors alone.
Why are FreeSync monitors cheap?
As mentioned above, there are various factors that make the FreeSync monitors cheaper, out of which the biggest reason is the open standards of FreeSync technology that allows the manufacturers to incorporate the technology into their monitors without having to pay the developer, i.e., AMD for it.
Why is G-Sync so expensive?
G-Sync is undoubtedly supreme in terms of performance, but the only downside this technology faces is its incredibly high price. Let’s have a look at the amazing features and factors that makes the price of G-Sync touch the sky.
Extra hardware required
The foremost reason why this technology costs more is the requirement of extra hardware in order to support the adaptive refresh by NVIDIA.
This technology comes with a couple of guarantees which you might not get along with the FreeSync technology. These guarantees include:
- Blur-reduction (ULMB): NVIDIA named this as ULMB for its G-sync technology. It is capable of reducing the motion blurring that results in smoother performance. This technology works by flashing the backlight at the exact rate as the monitor’s refresh rate.
- No frame tear: Another must-need guarantee that every user loves is the no frame tear guarantee that G-Sync promises. According to the company, even at the lowest refresh rate, there will not be the slightest frame tear.
The G-Sync technology is packed with a huge number of excellent features, out of which some are mentioned below:
- Factory color calibration
- Minimized input lag
- Supported in full screen as well as windowed mode
- Supports a variety of refresh rate, i.e., from 1 to 240 Hz (or whatever the maximum refresh rate of a monitor is)
G-Sync is not only about higher cost but several amazing features as well. Moreover, the standards of G-Sync are fixed; thus, you know what you will be getting for the price without having to compromise on the quality.
This Article is Updated.
- JBL Speaker Sizes - December 19, 2022
- Tesla Spotify Not Working ( Easy Fixes ) - December 15, 2022
- Factory Reset Oculus ( Meta ) Quest 2 without phone - December 14, 2022